Subject: mount -rt ntfs
To: netbsd-help <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/16/2003 14:22:42
Does mount_ntfs work on NetBSD 1.5 i386 GENERIC?

I have a few NTFS partitions that I haven't accessed in a few years.  It's
getting to be time to upgrade the box, and I thought I should scrounge
around for any, um, data that might be locked up in these nether regions.

The partions were created in NT 4.0.  NT has since blown up, so my only
hope for reading the drives is with something else.

Below is the fdisk and disklabel output for sd0.  Am I missing something
obvious?

Thanks for any help.

--jkl

$ disklabel sd0
# /dev/rsd0d:
type: SCSI
disk: FIREBALL SE4.3S
label: fictitious
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 275
tracks/cylinder: 4
sectors/cylinder: 1100
cylinders: 7637
total sectors: 8418816
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0           # microseconds
track-to-track seek: 0  # microseconds
drivedata: 0

8 partitions:
#        size   offset     fstype   [fsize bsize   cpg]
  d:  8418816        0     unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 -
7653*)
  e:  8417997       63       NTFS                        # (Cyl.    0*-
7652*)
disklabel: boot block size 0
disklabel: super block size 0

$ sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/sd0e /mnt
mount_ntfs: /dev/sd0e on /mnt: Argument list too long

(Note to writers of error messages: "Argument list too long" doesn't tell
me what arguments, and isn't a documented diagnostic.)