Subject: Re: / on RAID 1
To: Martin Schmitz <martin-schmitz@web.de>
From: Alex Barclay <alex@planet-barclay.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/15/2003 16:33:35
Martin Schmitz wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I would like to setup a NetBSD system where / and the whole rest of the
>system is on a 2 disk RAID 1. I found plenty of documentations to setup
>RAIDFrame but none which shows how to do so with /. Can anyone point me
>to the right place?
>
>TIA,
>Martin

I have this setup. I didn't get too much help from the tools when I did it.

Here are my current mounts.
/dev/raid0a on / type ffs (local)
/dev/raid0d on /var type ffs (local)
/dev/raid0e on /usr type ffs (NFS exported, local)
/dev/sd0a on /stand0 type ffs (local)
/dev/sd1a on /stand1 type ffs (local)

In general I found that I had to do the filesystem formatting manually.
I did this on the sparc64 that I'm using this on by netbooting the
machine off a PC (also running NetBSD). Once I had the machine running
then I started diddling with the disks to get them how I wanted.

There is a bug with the stock 1.6.1 kernel that won't allow a generic
root on raid. Look in the archives for an email to me about this.
Someone, can't remember who, posted a patch that worked just gread,
alternatively run current which is already fixed. I also remember
something about the GENERIC kernel not having raidframe built in but my
memory may be bad on this.

If you need any more then let me know.

Alex.