Subject: Re: where to post what?
To: Jakob Strebel <mail@teamstrebel.ch>
From: Michal Pasternak <michal@pasternak.w.lub.pl>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/12/2003 06:45:05
Jakob Strebel [Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 06:34:04PM +0100]:
> I am new in the netBSD list and posted two days ago I problem with the
> utility etcupdate in this List. I did not get any reply to it. I have to
> assume my posting was to the wrong mailing list.

Depends! Often a problem remains unsolved/unanswered, just because noone
ever run into trouble like you described.

> Now I ran into a problem building X11-current i386 (I get undefined
> references) on a successful built 1.6.1ZX.
>
> Q: Where should I post the X11 Problem to have the best chance getting a
> reply?

Depends! If it seem to be a NetBSD-specific problem (like: package from
pkgsrc doesn't run properly) - ask about packages on tech-pkg@. You
experience strange lock-ups or coredumps? Ask on port-i386@ or port-x11@, or
here.

If the problem doesn't seem to be narrowed to NetBSD configurations (eg.
"how do I change the colour of my root window"), e-mail netbsd-help@ or any
X11-related list anywhere (or post Usenet News) - "upper" layers of X11
aren't really so different between Linux, BSD or .. Windows ;)

As many people are really subscribed to many NetBSD e-mail lists - if
someone doesn't reply you at once, it could mean 2 things: either the
problem is well-known and solution is available in the docs (NetBSD guide,
for example) - or noone had such trouble, noone has similar configuration to
test if you case occur on his/hers hardware...

Take care,
--
Michal Pasternak :: http://pasternak.w.lub.pl