Subject: Re: zlib not for netbsd?
To: Mark <mindfunk@mindfunk.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/11/2003 13:40:11
On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Mark wrote:

> > > bittorent
> >
> > Huh. It doesn't on current or on 1.6.2, and it doesn't look like it
> > should on 1.5.2 either...
>
> Well, it doesn't explicitly require it (as far as netbsd packaging is
> conscerned). The configure fails.

You mean bittorrent's configure is complaining about libz? In that
case, simply installing the package wouldn't help.

> I am on an older system, which is probably the issue. If it's part of the
> base, then it hasn't been updated.
>
> But that begs the question about updating it. Do I just d/l a tar ball and
> install it (isn't that what pkgsrc is for?)? Or am I expected to upgrade
> the base OS? I'd prefer not to do that since this has been a copletely
> functional machine with uptimes aproaching a year (my power went out for
> a longer period of time than the UPS could handle). Everything is
> configured just the way I want it... it's a 1.5.1 system.

Most of the libraries in the base system have no peer in pkgsrc,
unlike say, most linux distro's, which consist entirely of packages,
so it would be futile to attempt to do all maintainence on NetBSD
through pkgsrc. Possibly, bittorrent is detecting this:

  ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/security/advisories/NetBSD-SA2003-004.txt.asc

but you can see exactly why bittorrent's configure failed by examining
"config.log" in the work directory. If that's what it is, the security
advisory explains that you need to update or patch basicly one source
file. If you don't have any sources, you could download the tarball
for 1.5.1, patch the one file, and build and install only libz,
according to the directions in the advisory.

> I still wonder why there is a devel/zlib if there is no package though.

It's for non-NetBSD systems. As I said, even if you comment out the
restriction and install it, you'd have to finagle bittorrent to
actually utilize it.

Numerous courses of action are possible: you could install the
portable libz into your base system; you could hack bittorrent to use
the insecure libz... if you do any of those things, though, you're on
your own. The supported way to minimally update NetBSD is to update
the sources that shipped with the binaries, and recompile.

> > Here's an idea. Try commenting out the line that says ".include
> > ../../devel/zlib/buildlink2.mk" from "graphics/png/Makefile", try to
> > build and install png without zlib, and then bittorrent.
>
> Will do.... but I don't think it'll work.

Never mind that.

Frederick