Subject: Re: zlib not for netbsd?
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Mark <mindfunk@mindfunk.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/11/2003 13:00:08

> > > 1) zlib is part of the base system, and in the linker's default path
> > > (/usr/lib/libz.so).
> > >
> > > 2) Nothing should depend on zlib. What package depends on zlib?
> >

> > bittorent
>
> Huh. It doesn't on current or on 1.6.2, and it doesn't look like it
> should on 1.5.2 either...

Well, it doesn't explicitly require it (as far as netbsd packaging is
conscerned). The configure fails.

I am on an older system, which is probably the issue. If it's part of the
base, then it hasn't been updated.

But that begs the question about updating it. Do I just d/l a tar ball and
install it (isn't that what pkgsrc is for?)? Or am I expected to upgrade
the base OS? I'd prefer not to do that since this has been a copletely
functional machine with uptimes aproaching a year (my power went out for
a longer period of time than the UPS could handle). Everything is
configured just the way I want it... it's a 1.5.1 system.

I still wonder why there is a devel/zlib if there is no package though.

> Here's an idea. Try commenting out the line that says ".include
> ../../devel/zlib/buildlink2.mk" from "graphics/png/Makefile", try to
> build and install png without zlib, and then bittorrent.

Will do.... but I don't think it'll work.

namaste,
Mark