Subject: Re: None
To: Krishna Ramanathan <kumar_ramanathan@yahoo.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/11/2003 08:36:59
On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 07:54:33PM -0800, Krishna Ramanathan wrote:
> Hey , here's a little trick that worked ...
> I booted into NetBSD install until I reached the
> sysinst menu. Then did a "Reboot the computer" thru'
> the menu.
> This time around, the CD drive gets detected ! And

This is a little similar to a problem with an ethernet
card that I have in a laptop.

> this repeats itself consistently, detection on the
> second try. Can't say why, tho... I'm not complaining.

(a) Does this alternate between boots in a reliable pattern?
    E.g., if it works this time, does it fail when you warmboot?
    Does it behave differently from the installation CD as opposed
    to after you install a "real" kernel on the hard disk and boot
    that?

(b) Please *do* complain.  (^&
    Collect a dmesg with (and perhaps without) the drive showing
    up.  Include other info (such as whether it alternates or
    shows any other clear pattern).  File a PR (either via the
    web interface on http://www.NetBSD.org/ or via the
    send-pr program that is included with NetBSD).

    (Oh, well: Check if anyone has filed a similar PR before.
    You can search the problem-report database from the web-
    page.  If possible, try booting with a -current NetBSD kernel
    and see if the bug might have been fixed already.)

Whatever the problem is, it appears to be fairly rare and if
no one else has reported it yet, it may not be fixed if *you*
don't complain.  (^&

(Then again, maybe someone is already working on it, based on
what you've posted to the list.)