Subject: branching the "no inodes free" thread
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Scott Zahn <scott@xeroxparc.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/10/2003 13:33:12
On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Michael G. Schabert wrote:

> 3) Old-school unix admins who still believe in the tiny /, separate
> /usr, /home, /tmp, and /EverythingElse

This part of your reply caught my eye.  I still hear a lot that the many
partitions scheme you were describing is the best way, but I never really
knew why.  When I first installed netbsd (at version 1.6), the default
partitioning was for the "old school" style. Could someone on this list
please enlighten me why this many partitions thing was so good?  Was it
only so none of those directories could take up all the space on the
disk or were there other reasons too?

thanks everyone,
Scott

--