Subject: Re: None
To: Krishna Ramanathan <kumar_ramanathan@yahoo.com>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/10/2003 18:29:41
    Date:        Mon, 10 Nov 2003 00:52:07 -0800 (PST)
    From:        Krishna Ramanathan <kumar_ramanathan@yahoo.com>

  | Nope, no such luck. I tried all combinations of
  | directories and cd drive names, no luck. I even looked
  | thru' the dmesg, to see if my cdrom drive (Samsung CD
  | R/W SW-252 B ) is detected. I can't, however see any
  | message saying my CDROM drive was detected.

Then that's going to be the problem, if dmesg says nothing about it,
to NetBSD it isn't there.

Check the master/slave jumpers - if it is the only device on an IDE cable
it needs to be jumpered as a master (and be connected to the plug at the
end of the cable).   Many CD type devices come jumpered by default as
a slave (or have no jumper on the drive at all).

  | What is the /dev/ entry I
  | should use, to mount my cdrom ?? I tried cd0a, cd1a,
  | cd0b... to no avail.

cd0a should be what works - but if dmesg doesn't say that you have
a cd0, then as far as NetBSD is concerned you don't - so there's no
point trying mount commands.

  | I there a problem with the NetBSd install and Samsung
  | CDROM drives ? Has anyone else faced such a problem ?

I have seen someone with a CD drive that NetBSD simply could not see.
A master/slave select jumper that had almost fallen off the back of the
drive (and hence wasn't doing anything) was the culprit.

Apart from that, any ATAPI IDE CD reader (and writer, acting as a reader)
should simply work on NetBSD.

kre