Subject: Re: None
To: Krishna Ramanathan <kumar_ramanathan@yahoo.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/10/2003 04:41:32
On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 12:52:07AM -0800, Krishna Ramanathan wrote:
> Nope, no such luck. I tried all combinations of
> directories and cd drive names, no luck. I even looked
> thru' the dmesg, to see if my cdrom drive (Samsung CD
> R/W SW-252 B ) is detected. I can't, however see any
> message saying my CDROM drive was detected.
>
> Could that be the problem ? What is the /dev/ entry I

That sounds like the problem.

To mount the CD to /mnt, the full command would be:

  mount -t cd9660 /dev/cd0a /mnt

(You sound like you know what your're doing, but I don't
remember if you said what your back- ground is.  So I gave
the full command.)

> should use, to mount my cdrom ?? I tried cd0a, cd1a,
> cd0b... to no avail.
>
> I there a problem with the NetBSd install and Samsung
> CDROM drives ? Has anyone else faced such a problem ?

If you go to the NetBSD home-page, http://www.NetBSD.org/,
there is a link for searching the NetBSD mailing lists.
I know that I personally don't use that nearly as much as
I should.  However, looking there to answer your question,
one of the results that I found was at:

  http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-i386/2000/05/10/0004.html

He doesn't name the CD-RW by model, but it's a Samsung and
sounds like a similar problem to what you have.  Maybe he
can give you some insight?

(Lennart, are you lurking out there?  (^&)

Skimming around, I don't see any others that look promising,
but perhaps you can turn some some more.

One WORKAROUND, if the CD drive is the problem, is to boot
NetBSD's system installation, but put the CD in another
computer (if you have another in easy reach and connected via
a LAN---or even a serial null-modem, if you are patient).
Then, if you can, set the other computer to be an FTP server and
tell sysinst to install NetBSD via FTP.

You can also install via the Internet with as little as a boot
floppy, if your patience is great enough (or if you have a really
fast Internet connection; (^&).

I once did this for a laptop that couldn't read the CD (the
laptop's CDROM drive was not able to handle CDR media).  (I installed
over a serial nullmodem, if memory serves.)

Good luck.  Let me know if any of that helps.