Subject: Re: accessing www.netbsd.org
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/05/2003 08:24:45
On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Matt Herzog <mherzog@acamm.org> wrote:

> I have not been able to access www.netbsd.org for several months
> now. Today is the first day I have noticed the following in syslog:
>
> fxp0: discarding oversize frame (len=1426)
> I'm on a pppoe connection behind a Linksys BEFSR81 residential
> gateway/firewall.

http://www.phildev.net/solaris/mss.html

may be useful background information.

Strictly from the error message, it sounds like your NetBSD box is
advertising a smaller mtu/mss (not sure) that the sending host isn't
honoring.  The sender in this case is also NetBSD, which I think we can
safely say would DTRT.  That implies someone -- perhaps your ISP, perhaps
your BEFSR81, something -- is filtering out the ICMP packet that would
carry the information to www.netbsd.org.

At least, that's my reasoning.  You could test it with ping(8).

Phil Dibowitz recommends restricting your MSS.  I don't know if/how you
can do that in NetBSD.  sysctl(8) shows a default of 512 on my machine; I
imagine it's negotiated up on a per-connection basis.

--jkl