Subject: Re: PCMCIA Card Reader Setup
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: JS <oghistorian@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/04/2003 15:37:07
Hi All,

Well, I got my SCM pcmcia card reader today and
installed it physically without much of an issue.
However, when I started her up, I got some problems
that showed up during the bios part of the boot.  The
first issue was that something (probably the new
hardware) was conflicting with a serial port.  I fixed
that pretty easily by just disabling that serial port
in the bios since I don't use it.

Then there was a second error message stating
"Diskette Drive Controller Not Installed or A Error."
Also, later on in the bios messages, it said:

Diskette Drive A Type Mismatch
Equipment Configuration Error

So I went back in the bios and played around with some
of the settings.  However, the only thing that would
get rid of the second part of the diskette error
messages was to disable the floppy drive.  But, the
first part of the error message would still appear and
I wouldn't have a working floppy drive.

After working with the problems, I decided just to let
it boot completely and see what NetBSD would say.  To
my surprise, it recognized the pcmcia reader perfectly
but it now doesn't mention anything about a floppy
drive.

What do you all think could be causing this issue?  I
really don't know how to work with the bios that much
since I have been mostly using Macintoshes for my
upgrade computers, and could really use some help with
this.

Thank you all!

J Silverman