Subject: Poor networking performance with Windows node.
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Mikael <m.s.nystrom@comhem.se>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/03/2003 10:17:18
Hi all!
I've some trouble with a node on my private network. I'm using NetBSD as a
firewall/NAT and have some clients using it as gateway. The node causing the
trouble is a Windows XP Home box, I experience really poor performance when
surfing or trying to use ssh to conect to the firewall. When I'm surfing it
takes a long time to load pages, and sometimes it doesn't manage to load the
page at all. While trying to ssh to the NetBSD box I sometimes manage to
login, but then it freezes after some typed characters and the connection
goes down.
I have a linux and a NetBSD box connected to the same gateway and doesn't
experience any troubles there. So I guess that the problem(s) lies in the
winxp box. I'm not very good at configuring winxp(or NetBSD ;0) so the
information I found was that assign ip, DNS, gateway and  you should be up
and running...
I've only the tcp/ip activated on the winxp machine. It has a firewall running
on it but I've tried deactivate it with similar results.
I've tried to find information on the Internet without any good results, so
I'm hoping that someone could give me a hint about what's not working as it
supposed to or simply telling me howto properly set up a winxp box behind a
NetBSD firewall/NAT.

I'm not sure this is useful:
NetBSD i386 1.6.1 firewall/NAT running on a p200
device connected to my network:
vr0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
device to ISP:
ne0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

sysctl.conf
net.inet.ip.mtudisc=1
net.inet.tcp.recvspace=65535
net.inet.tcp.sendspace=65535