Subject: Re: /etc/ttys doesn't recognize "insecure" option anymore!
To: Sung N. Cho <sucho2@vt.edu>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/27/2003 21:40:47
    Date:        Mon, 27 Oct 2003 09:28:19 +0000
    From:        "Sung N. Cho" <sucho2@vt.edu>

  | On previous releases, I had "insecure" option put in the /etc/ttys
  | file so it would require a passwd to enter into single user mode.
  | Has the option for passwd requirement for single user only mode
  | changed from "insecure" to something else?

There has never been such an option.   However, I presume that now
ttyflags complains about unknown keywords, which were simply ignored
before.

For "secure" there are 2 choices, either a line is "secure" and the
"secure" option is in /etc/ttys - or it is not (the secure option is
not given).

There's no need to claim the line is insecure, all you need to is
not state that it is secure.

That is, delete "insecure" and all should work the way that you expect
(provided this is on the "console" entry in /etc/ttys, there is a "root"
in /etc/passwd, and root has a password set, if any of those fail, no
password will be requested).

kre