Subject: Re: smart router automatically becoming a gateway? (Re: arp errors
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/11/2003 11:04:31
On Sun, 12 Oct 2003, Robert Elz wrote:

>   | In other words, someone could bring in a computer, plug in, and
>   | immediately attempt to browse to a webpage without changing their system's
>   | IP or gateway (default route) address.
>
> What a positively disgusting idea.   I certainly hope that NetBSD
> offers nothing quite so revolting, now or ever.

This is second response against this. The other said "It sounds horrid" :)

Anyways, it was not my idea. I was forced to use it and it did cause
serious problems for my networking for the BSD class I was teaching.

Nevertheless, hotels pay a lot of money for implementations like this. And
I'd like to learn more about how to implement (and hopefully sell) a
similar solution that hotels already use.

Does anyone know of any open source-based solutions for this?

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/