Subject: Re: smart router automatically becoming a gateway? (Re: arp errors in dmesg output)
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/10/2003 09:13:39

> I recently taught a class where the provided internet access used some
> type of router that automatically assigned itself IP addresses to become
> the needed gateway.
>
> In other words, someone could bring in a computer, plug in, and
> immediately attempt to browse to a webpage without changing their system's
> IP or gateway (default route) address.

It sounds horrid!
If you assume a switched ethernet network, that the clients don't
want to talk to each other, then the following might have the desired?
effect.

1) you answer all ARP requests with your own address
2) you NAT everything before sending it 'upstream'
(you might run a proxy service instead of NAT)

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk