Subject: Re: CD-RW drive problems.
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/07/2003 14:07:57
On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 01:11:41AM +0700, Robert Elz wrote:
>     Date:        Tue, 7 Oct 2003 12:59:59 -0500
>     From:        Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
>
>   | The header output says:
>
> All that looks fairly reasonable, and suggests that cdrecord believes
> it is working correctly.
>
> It also suggests that the drive is not toast, as it is at least able
> to find the manufacturer and size of the blank CD you inserted.

It's also able to tell the difference between a CD-R blank and having a
CD-RW or CD in it.  (It does not recognize the latter two, but a CD-R,
after some struggling, makes the "Disc" light turn a constant green.)

I seem to recall that it was much quicker to accept media in the past...

> Another test you can do, to determine if the write is happening at all,
> is to try to re-burn one of the CDs that you have already (tried to) burn.

I believe that that *was* with a CD-R that I'd tried before, in fact.

I'm trying again just for reference, though.

> If nothing every got written, that would "work" again.   On the other hand,
> if the write got somewhere, then the 2nd attempt will fail.

It had to reload the media, but otherwise appears to be doing okay with it.