Subject: using a printer with usb -> parallel cable
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Russell McManus <russell_mcmanus@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/04/2003 22:46:54
I've got an HP LaserJet 6L, which I've used successfully in the past
with a printer port connected to my laptop.  Needless to say, that is
less than convenient.

So I went out and bought a USB parallel adapter to use with my desktop
machine, which NetBSD correctly identifies:

ulpt0 at uhub0 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0
ulpt0: Keyspan  UP-6C Keyspan  UP-6C Printer Cable, rev 1.00/2.02, addr 2, iclass 7/1
ulpt0: using bi-directional mode

Looks promising.  So I print something with lpq, and nothing comes
out.  Here is output from lpq:

thelonious.dyndns.org:/var/log [54] # lpq
waiting for lp to become ready (offline ?)
^@Rank   Owner      Job  Files                                 Total Size
1st    russe      0    (standard input)                      33228 bytes

And here is my printcap entry for this printer:

lp|my|hp|lj|HP LaserJet 6L:\
           :lp=/dev/ulpt0:\
           :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
           :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
           :of=/usr/pkg/libexec/magicfilter/ljet4-filter:\
           :mx#0:\
           :sh:\
           :sc:\
           :sf:

Any ideas what might be wrong?  I have the magicfilter package
installed. I've tried restarting lpd a couple of times, with no
beneficial effect.  Apparently lpd thinks that the printer isn't
there.

-russ