Subject: Re: promise ultra 66 ide controller not working
To: Russell McManus <russell_mcmanus@yahoo.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/30/2003 15:56:25
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Russell McManus wrote:

> I also have an adaptec 2940UW scsi controller I can drop in this beast
> if I could find a place to get competitively priced 68pin SCSI disks.
> Any ideas on this front would also be appreciated.

EBay. You have to be on your toes, know what you're bidding on,
know what you're willing to pay, and check feedback on the folks
you'll potentially deal with, but most of the good deals come from
computer stores dumping their surplus below cost, and they're pretty
reputable on the whole. They usually ship slower than the full-scale
online retailers, but sometimes you get lucky. It takes patience and
perserverance to get a really good deal, and of course there's
additional risk.

The U320 drives are plentiful on EBay, but not at all cheap, but if
U160 (or less) is OK, you can get a deal.

There are also specialized web search engines just for shopping online
(Nextag, Dealtime, Buy.com). I check those just to get an idea of what
the going rate is (unless the item I'm looking for is perfectly
obsolete), but then usually end up buying all my old computer junk
on Ebay.

Frederick