Subject: Measuring network input/output rates?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Mike Cheponis <mac@Wireless.Com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/27/2003 19:36:32
Hi,

I want to measure the number of bits/second going into and out of an
ethernet interface card for a server of mine that I have located at an ISP's
hosting facility.

The idea is to take readings every, say, minute of the total number of
bits that have passed through the interface (tx and rx separate) and
append that to a file.

At the end of the month, I throw away the top 5% of these readings, and if
the rest of the readings are below a threshold, then I don't pay extra
for the hosting; if it goes above that threshold, then the ISP charges
me quite a bit.

Is there an easy way to do this with NetBSD?  (Or rather, I'm pretty
sure there's an easy way, -because- it's NetBSD!)

Thanks!

-Mike