Subject: Re: Stupid question, but...
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Bob Bernstein <rs@bernstein.providence.ri.us>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/25/2003 20:47:57
On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 02:36:26AM -0500, Peter Seebach wrote:
> If I have a NetBSD box which doesn't have any other reason to run sendmail,
> is there an easy way to force send-pr to use some other host to send
> messages, instead of throwing them into /var/spool/mqueue?  I can always
> run sendmail -q to process them, but I tend to forget.

If you have a remote SMTP host available to you, then, in sendmail.cf:

# "Smart" relay host (may be null)
DSyour.smtp.host

Then, start sendmail with just:

sendmail_flags="-q4h"

in /etc/rc.conf, or whatever time interval you prefer. There's no need
to have sendmail running as a daemon all the time. (For things such as
fetchmail, I use procmail as the mta.)

--
Bob Bernstein