Subject: Re: kernel configuration
To: Klaus Haeberlein <KHaeberlein@cmq-kh.de>
From: Benjamin Walkenhorst <krylon@gmx.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/23/2003 12:48:01

On Freitag, 22. August 2003 14:48 Klaus Haeberlein wrote:
> I don't want to say the manaul
>
>   The NetBSD Operating System
>     A Guide
>
> is wrong at this point <http://www.netbsd.org/guide/en/chap-kernel.html>
> , but it seems to be not complete.
>
> There are still some other issues which are not covered in this guide.
[...]
> Where can I find these information?

Well, first of all, you can check Google, the mailing-lists' archives, ask
the mailing-list/s. The internet abounds with information if you know where
and how to look, and there's plenty of people eager to be helpful.

If you feel like having a complete manual around, you might consider buying a
book. There is a book called simply "NetBSD", published by a German ...
publisher. I assume you are a native German speaker (by name and
eMail-adress), so this might be really suitable for you. I don't know this
book myself, but it seems to be pretty complete (~850 pages...); the drawback
is the price, 49,- Euros... But if you intend to use NetBSD for some time, I
guess it's worth the money. I would have already bought the book myself,
since I really like having some piece of paper around in case my computer
gives up on me (so I cannot access online-manuals any more...), but it's
rather expensive to me at the moment. ;-(

There are other books as well, I guess, check... I don't know, amazon, or
your bookstore of choice, bsdmall or something like that.

And, you can always come back with more questions if you encounter any...

As for the questions you asked:

a) I don't really know about NetBSD's bootloader; I guess it's rather similar
to FreeBSD's, but I use LILO, so I can't really tell you... (If you already
have GNU/Linux and LILO installed, you can just go ahead, it boots NetBSD
fine...)

b) don't know... ;-( I use ISDN, and my ISDN-card is still unconfigured under
NetBSD... But I think the process should be pretty similar with all the BSDs
out there (they share a lot of code, after all, as well as vertain design
elements), so you might take a look at the FreeBSD manual (for example) or
look around the internet.

> Klaus

Kind regards,

Benjamin