Subject: Re: kernel configuratio
To: Klaus Haeberlein <KHaeberlein@cmq-kh.de>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/22/2003 12:23:04
Re. http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-help/2003/08/22/0006.html

Hello, Klaus.

Your question is more about installing the NetBSD system.  The NetBSD
Guide chapter that you refer to in
http://www.netbsd.org/guide/en/chap-kernel.html is about installing
and configuring the KERNEL SOURCES.  This really isn't the same thing
at all.

The chpater, I think, is not incomplete.  (So far as I know.)  It just
isn't trying to answer the question that you have, which is one of
basic system installation.

Based on this point of confusion, the fact that you are posting from a
.de domain, etc., I assume that English is not your native language.
I also assume that German is.  I can't read German, but this seems
to correspond to chapter 7 of the German (partial? outdated?) translation at

  http://www.lindloff.com/netbsd/netbsd-kernel.html

...which has a top-level page at:

  http://www.lindloff.com/netbsd/handbuchintro.html

...based on "Shortguide" and the lower chapter numbers, I assume that
this is a partial translation of the Guide.  If so, it's a pity that
the translator wasn't able to make the chapters match up.  He could
insert dumm (empty) chapters & sections to match the numbering.

But, compiling a kernel isn't what you need.  You need to install
a system for multiboot capabilities.

NetBSD has its own boot selector (and is even able to install it during
system installation if you ask).  But you should be able to use any other
boot selector, such as GNU/LINUX LILO.  (In the past, I used IBM's
boot selector, which I installed from the commercial Partition Magic
program---way back when I first set up NetBSD and wasn't sure if I would
be able to completely cast off from MonopolySoft...)

(NOTE: Under 1.6, which is the only NetBSD release where I tried to
use NetBSD's native boot selector, the installation software seems to
crash "late" in the install if you try to use the boot selector.  At
that point, all that is needed is to finish extracting the NetBSD
"install sets" (.tgz files; tarred, gzipped archives).  But it
is a bit frustrating.  I assume that this is fixed by now---I only
found about this recently, and 1.6.1 has been out for a while
now---anyone know if this is fixed, or should I send-pr it?)