Subject: Re: Old RAID disk confuses new NetBSD installation
To: Neil Booth <neil@daikokuya.co.uk>
From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/15/2003 14:28:13
Neil Booth writes:
> I've installed NetBSD 1.6.1_Stable on a disk that used to be
> part of a raid array.  Unforunately the installer doesn't clear
> the old raid information, and since the array was configured
> with Autoconfigure, the newly-installed system gets confused,
> and then can't even run /bin/sh.  Sigh.
>
> What can I do to either
>
> 1) Remove the old raid info from the disk, or

You can nuke the component label with:

 dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rwd0e bs=1k skip=16 count=1

where "rwd0e" is the offending partition.

> 2) Stop the kernel trying to autoconfigure a non-existent
>    raid?

If you boot with the "askme" flag (specified with "-a" as a bootflag
on a number of archs) then the kernel will ask you where you'd like /
to be, and RAIDframe will not hijack it.

> I prefer 1) as 2) is just delaying the problem.

Alternately, you could just change the partition type in the disklabel
from "RAID" to "unused", and it should be happy too.

Later...

Greg Oster