Subject: Re: Stand Alone Box Tries to Use Self as DNS
To: Thompson, Jimi <JimiT@mail.cox.smu.edu>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/15/2003 10:01:11
On Fri, 15 Aug 2003, Thompson, Jimi wrote:

> I'm fairly new to NetBSD and am finding out just how different from FreeBSD
> it is.  I downloaded the current 1.6 yesterday and installed it. I've built
> a box to serve as an IDS but it cannot resolve any host names because it
> tries to use itself as a DNS with an IP address of 0.0.0.0.  I don't want
> this to run BIND or named or any thing relating to DNS at all and have made
> sure that this is not installed and not running so I'm at a loss to figure
> out why it thinks it should be using itself.
>

> What I need to find out is what I need to change to get it to use the DNS
> servers that are listed in the resolv.conf.  I've looked everywhere in the
> documents that I looks remotely pertinent and I've searched Google to no
> avail.  Any suggestions (other than RTFM  :-)) are appreciated.

By default, (just like FreeBSD) it will use the /etc/resolv.conf file.

Make sure that the format is correct:

nameserver 192.168.0.1

(replace the IP above with the IP of your nameserver)

Don't use a hostname; use an IP address.

Make sure you have connectivity to that IP address. (Is your networking
working?)

Have you ever modified your /etc/nsswitch.conf? The default for hostname
(DNS) lookups is:
hosts:          files dns

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/