Subject: Re: No inodes free
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Neil Booth <neil@daikokuya.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/15/2003 00:12:51
Neil Booth wrote:-

> Manuel Bouyer wrote:-
>
> > On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 11:19:26PM +0100, Neil Booth wrote:
> > > I've just got this message on a raided /usr partition (contains the
> > > NetBSD source code and lots of .o files).  It's only 16% full!
> > >
> > > Is the only way out of this to re-build the filesystem, after
> > > shuffling stuff around in a most painful way?
> >
> > Yes, unfortunably.
>
> The scary thing is that running out of inodes gave me fs corruption: I
> couldn't remove a couple of directories (it complained they weren't empty)
> and rm -r gave errors about bad file descriptors.  It was only fixed
> with a fsck and a large part of the xsrc/ tree in lost+found.

This happened again after a fsck got rid of the initial problem, a
CVS update that ran out of inodes again created inaccessible /
unremovable files.  Kernel is i386 as of about 4 days ago.  So it
seems quite reproducable.

Anyway, I'm about to new the filesystem, so I can't play with it any
more.

Neil.