Subject: Re: what software uses a joystick?
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: =?iso-8859-2?Q?Micha=B3?= Pasternak <michal@pasternak.w.lub.pl>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/13/2003 11:12:59
Jeremy C. Reed [Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 01:49:48AM -0700]:
> Then I noticed the dmesg didn't have any "joystick" logged. The joystick
> port is on a Ensoniq AudioPCI card that works.
[...]
> What games or programs should I install for my 7-year-old and younger sons
> so they can happily use the joystick?

Check out http://www.linuxforkids.org/ , I am sure many of those are in
pkgsrc or should be easily portable.

You could setup joystick as XFree86's pointing device, I don't know if it
would be any use for you... I remember I setup my joystick a few years ago
on XFree86... that was tons of fun (at least about 4 minutes - after that I
unplugged joystick and _never_ _ever_ used it as a pointing device ;) -
http://xfree86.ntua.gr/3.3.6/OpenBSD6.html - that's for old version of
XFree86 - I couldn't find any information via google about setting up
joystick on XFree86 4.x, I am not sure if they dropped support for it or not.

For 7-yr old kids I'd suggest installing some emulators, like, say MAME or
Super Nintendo emulator (zsnes should do) - or even good old NES emulator
(remember Mario Bross? runs perfectly via Nesticle emulator, I couldn't find
it in pkgsrc, but I suppose it could have some joystick support) - there are
plenty of games suitable for children in such age, for example Donkey Kong
Country I - III on SNES. And please remember, download ROMs from the net
only if you have original copies of games ;). AFAIK x86/win32 platform has
only FPP and RTS games now, so it's really no use for serious gaming (which
is sad)...

Still, it depends, if you want to educate your children via gaming, or
purely entertain them. If the first one, I suggest projects like KDE-Edu or
,,Debian for kids''. If the 2nd, emulators - and some good, old arcade games
- should be the best way.

Regards,
--
Micha³ Pasternak :: http://pasternak.w.lub.pl
Men Who Use Computers Are The New Sex Symbols Of The `90s