Subject: Re: ACCEPTABLE_PACKAGES
To: <>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/12/2003 08:44:58
(I cc'd this to netbsd-help where it originated. But the discussion can
probably continue on tech-pkg.)

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Alistair Crooks wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 01:36:04PM -0700, Soren Jacobsen wrote:

> > For users to be able to filter out GPL packages, for instance, would
> > require a copy of the GPL in pkgsrc/licenses/ (I think there should be a
> > copy regardless) and all GPLed software in pkgsrc to be marked as such
> > with the addition of "LICENSE=gpl" to their Makefiles.  This would be a
> > rather large effort, but one that would likely be appreciated by at
> > least a few people.
>
> FYI, we looked at doing that just recently, but concluded that it
> would be too much effort for too little gain.
>
> If you'd like to do it, it would be great, but it's a lot to ask of
> anyone.

Another problem is (if I read the code right) is that LICENSE can only be
set to one license type. But maybe some packages may install files that
are licensed differently.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/