Subject: Re: nbase missing in packages for nmap and nmapfe
To: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
From: Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. <drkilloran@speakeasy.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/11/2003 19:20:01
>On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 01:35:33PM -0400, Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. wrote:
>>  Ok, per various suggestions, I have downloaded the latest copy of
>>  pkgsrc, & tried again to build nmap.
>>
>>  I get exactly the same error, viz.
>>
>>  >===> Building for nmap-3.00
>>  >make: don't know how to make nbase/Makefile. Stop

Dave Huang replied:

>I don't know what nbase is, but it still doesn't look like you have
>the latest pkgsrc...
>
>According to <http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/pkgsrc/net/nmap/Makefile>,
>the current pkgsrc has nmap 3.30, whereas yours is 3.00--that's over a
>year old.

I noticed that when I looked at the home page, but figured I had
better stick with a package that was known to work with NetBSD (!)

and Jeremy C. Reed replied:
>  > >===> Building for nmap-3.00
>
>This doesn't seem to be latest pkgsrc. When I build, I receive:
>
>   config.status: nbase_config.h is unchanged
>   ===> Building for nmap-3.30
>   Compiling libnbase
>   cd nbase; make
>

>How did you update your pkgsrc?
>
>  > >make: don't know how to make nbase/Makefile. Stop
>  >
>  > What is nbase, & where can I find it? The nbase home page says
>  > nothing about nbase.
>
>I thought I mentioned this in an earlier email: "nbase" is included with
>the nmap source code. (There is also "libnbase".)

When it was suggested that I had an old pgksrc, I ftp'ed to
ftp.netbsd.org, then
cd pub
cd NetBSD
cd packages
get bootstrap-pkgsrc.tar.gz

and expanded and used that. Am I to understand that that is the wrong
one? It looked like the correct choice.

Dan Killoran