Subject: Re: ACCEPTABLE_PACKAGES
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: D. E. Evans <sinuhe@xmission.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/11/2003 12:13:06
On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 01:37:31PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>   Using my above requirement, the case is made by Richard Stallman:
>   <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/motif.html>.  However, how the
>   NetBSD project perceives this, is up to NetBSD.  I just want to
>   be able to qualify the software I install.
>
> The question here is not whether any individual will accept the
> openmotif license, but whether it is sufficiently harmless that the
> system will in essence agree to it for you.  RMS's rant convinces me
> that it shouldn't be automatic.  I suggest filing a bug report that
> the license is not acceptable under the description in
> bsd.pkg.defaults.mk:

I consider that a seperate issue to what my email is about, but
I'll consider it.  The simplest solution would be to suggest that
lesstif be made the motif default.

>   #ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES=   fee-based-commercial-use no-commercial-use \
>   #                       no-profit limited-redistribution shareware
>   # Whitespace-delimited list of the types of license which are
>   # acceptable for installation.  (apart from standard "free" licenses
>   # such as Berkeley/CMU and GPL).  Possible values are presented below.
>
> Include a patch to bsd.pkg.defaults.mk, x11/openmotify/Makefile, and
> licenses/openmotif-license if you would like this fixed quickly :-)

What are the "free licenses" that the bsd.pkg.defaults.mk
considers automatically acceptable?  BSD and GPL are listed, but
obviously there are some others.  I would guess the X11 license
is one.  Even those of us who do not have GNU style ranting running
in our blood would find this clarification important.  Otherwise,
licenses are being agreed to without knowing what they are.

My original question was not directly answered, but it seems that
the answer is that there is no way to reject licenses that are
already accepted as "free licenses" by the pkg system.
Personally, I would like to think that only the BSD license is
acceptable, and that all other licenses should have an
ACCEPTABLE_LICENSE entry in the .mk file.  Since the base system
includes the GPL, and the X11 license (when installing XFree86),
these licenses should be listed as acceptable by default, but
still be required to have an ACCEPTABLE_LICENSE entry.
--
D. E. Evans <sinuhe@xmission.com>
<http://www.xmission.com/~sinuhe>