Subject: Re: Think outside of the box (Gawd, I hate that term)
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2003.snew.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/10/2003 02:03:30
Does the OS drive hardware purchases or vice versa? Do I go
out and buy 8 Way suns because they run Solaris or do I accept
Solaris cause it makes those systems run.

The contrary is true - people avoid certain hardware because
of the OS it runs, but I'd think a "marginal" OS like BSD
would be hardpressed to draw the hundreds of thousands of
sales needed.  Recall that NeXT sold 50,000 boxes and only
spent some huge number of millions of dollars to do it.

I *know* I avoid certain hardware whose vendors are not cooperative
with Open Source, but at best I can affect a few hundred sales.
In other areas, there's not too much practical choice.  Sun has
been terrible re: open source.  They recalled Princeton's loaner
of an E4000 when they learned of David Miller's use of it to port
Linux.  They offer "Open Architecture" like SPARC, but require NDAs
to get enough information to port an OS.  But they are a leading
vendor for beefy SMP Unix machines.

Quoting Richard Rauch (rkr@olib.org):