Subject: Re: Need postfix/sendmail for imapd?
To: None <mlh@goatnospamhill.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/10/2003 08:06:54
On 10 Aug 2003 02:11:39 GMT, MLH <MLH@goathill.org> wrote:
> >> Mail is being delivered to oak in /var/mail/username.  I don't think
> >imapd> looks there; I think it wants to see mail in $HOME/Mail.
>
> I'm certainly no expert, but the imap-uw installs I've done all
> come up this way. With imap clients, you can retrieve new mail as
> it drops into /var/mail/username and can then move it to your home
> mail folders if you wish, pretty closely matching what local mua's
> do.
>
> Or have I completely missed the boat here?

No, I had.  I wasn't really clear on imap-uw's role.  Now I know to think
of it as a proxy MUA on the mail hub.  The mail system delivers the goods
to /var/mail/username; it doesn't get moved from there until the user acts
on it, whether through imap or no.

I had also confused myself because I didn't remember setting up postfix on
this machine, and /etc/rc.conf has "postfix=NO".  But, postfix answers
port 25 (else the mail wouldn't have arrived, eh?) and the /etc/postfix
files reflect my handiwork.  I guess the rc.conf setting doesn't exactly
turn it off.

Thanks.

--jkl