Subject: Re: Need postfix/sendmail for imapd?
To: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
From: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/10/2003 06:52:46
James K. Lowden wrote:

> Mail is being delivered to oak in /var/mail/username.  I don't think imapd
> looks there; I think it wants to see mail in $HOME/Mail.

Someeone familiar with imapd will have to help you there; I would
expect that it can be configured to look in the standard place.
Otherwise it would be very hard to have some users using IMAP and
some using local mail user agents.

> AIUI, mail.local(8) moves mail from the spool to the user's mailbox.  What
> I don't understand is whether it's invoked by the MTA or imapd.

MTA.

> Lastly, am I the only one confused by the manpage mail.local(8)?  There's
> no binary by that name on my system.

/usr/libexec/mail.local

> Obviously, I can't invoke "mail.local" to incorporate from the spool.

mail.local is used to deliver mail into /var/mail/username.  Your use
of the term "spool" is a litte confusing: each MTA will have its own
queue and /var/mail is sometimes called the mail spool.  On some
systems it used to be /usr/spool/mail or /var/spool/mail. :-)

Giles