Subject: Re: Think outside of the box (Gawd, I hate that term)
To: Aaron W. Hsu <noorah@aaronhsu.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/09/2003 23:16:01
Re. http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-help/2003/08/09/0006.html

(This should probably have gone to -advocacy, not -help, IMHO.  This seems to
be about advocating the systems, not about help with using them.)

I agree with Aaron's general sentiment.

What I think *would* be cool is if some geeky types would design hardware
with open specs, etc.  (Yes, there are some.  The PC Weasel, I think,
is one.  (^&)

Something as minor as putting ethernet chipset labeling on boxes
would be a nice plus.  Documenting custom protocols might be a little
more challenging, since in-house docs may not be suitable for direct
publication, but...  (Of course, this is thinking more towards
consumer-grade systems, which is where I confess I make my purchases.
This would affect usability for more or less unwashed masses such as
myself, but may not be so helpful for people running large sites
and/or "big iron"...)