Subject: Re: Network traffic intermittently halts.
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Roger Fischer <r@aileron.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/08/2003 23:59:18
OK, I'm really convinced it has something to do with my ipf rules.
If I flush my ipf rules, things move along very quickly.

but... with the rules in place, I have problems.  I'm sure it has something to
do with rule order or keeping state, but I don't know what.  I've been going
over the HOW-TO and the FAQ, and can't find what might be wrong.

Any suggestions, or should I get on the ipfilter list?

# Default policy Deny
     block in on ne2

# Give internal net full access
     pass  out    quick on ne2 proto tcp  from any    to any  flags S
keep state  keep frags
     pass  out    quick on ne2 proto udp  from any    to any
keep state
     pass  out    quick on ne2 proto icmp from any    to any
keep state

# Allow access to DHCP
     pass  in log quick on ne2 proto udp  from any port = 67  to any
port = 68    keep state

# Send a reset instead of absolute block on ident port (for outbound mail?)
     block return-rst in log quick  on ne2  proto tcp  from any  to
any  port = 113

# Block all icmp.
     block in log quick on ne2 proto icmp from any to any