Subject: Network traffic intermittently halts.
To: None <Netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Roger Fischer <r@aileron.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/07/2003 23:03:03
I could use some help on ideas that might be causing my network
throughput to intermittently halt for around 20 seconds.

It doesn't seem to happen on short or quick downloads, like loading
most web pages.  But on some longer downloads after 30 or 40 seconds,
I will hear a momentary churn of disk activity (sort of a 1/2 second
buzz), then network traffic drops to zero.  After a few seconds
(10-15?) it will start moving again. Then the whole cycle will repeat.

Cable Modem  -> NetBSD 1.6.1 on i386, ipf firewall  ->  Mac OS X desktop.

I'm sort of clueless on what I should look at to diagnose this.

Thanks,
Roger