Subject: Re: brconfig troubles after applying SA2003-011 (xs4)
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Rogier Krieger <rogier@virgiel.nl>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/07/2003 16:49:46
Hi there Manuel,

thanks for the swift reply. I'm afraid I do not fully understand the
solution you present, though. Probably due to my lacking
understanding of the build.sh script.

So far, I have only used the build.sh script to generate a toolchain,
but browsing through it, it seems capable of doing much more.

Do you suggest using build.sh to rebuild the entire system
(including userland) and then working my way with the SA's?

Every now and then, I come across minor build problems applying
SA's, so perhaps I am consistently doing something wrong or
missing out on something. Sometimes it may be the 'includes',
at other moments it may be a library dependency.

If using a full system rebuild is not what you suggest, is there a
foolproof way of keeping a source tree up-to-date while being
ready to apply the security advisories verbatim? So far, I use
various make commands. Should I switch to the build.sh
script and if so, how should I invoke it?

So far, I have the following procedure in place:

+ CVS checkout
	cd /usr
	checkout -r netbsd-1-6 -P src
+ Create object directories
	make obj
+ Toolchain build
	cd /usr/src
	./build.sh -t
+ Apply the security advisories from here on

As suggested in Ignatios' post, should I by default include the
building of the various includes after building the toolchain?
To apply the last SA2003-011, this did the trick as long as I
do not use 'USETOOLS=no' on the command line.

+ Build includes
	cd /usr/src
	make cleandir
	make includes

Any insight is greatly appreciated. Sorry to bother you with this.

Rogier Krieger

Previous Correspondence from Manuel Bouyer (12:15 7-8-2003 +0200):