Subject: A small utility to easily browse the available packages?
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@nic.fr>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/06/2003 09:54:22
I'm searching for a program to provide help in finding the proper
package.

At the present time, I set PKG_PATH this way:

export PKG_PATH=ftp://ftp.fr.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/`uname -r|cut -d _ -f 1`/`uname -p`/All

And I can pkg_add but, to find, for instance, what packages are
available for Python, I have to "lynx $PKG_PATH" and then use the the
Web browser.

I would prefer to have a tool to find out all packages with "*python*"
in the name or, even better, to be able to search inside descriptions.

I can do that on locally installed packages but not on available
packages.

Ideas welcome.