Subject: Re: Moving Back To NetBSD [slightly offtopic]
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2003.snew.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/05/2003 00:44:34
Quoting Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. (drkilloran@speakeasy.net):

> >>All I've heard locally is *bad* news about Mac, and I could only ever
> >>consider moving back to NetBSD, or not having switched in the first
> >>place.
> >
> >Could this be a case uf FUD?  I'd had some problems with OS X, but
> >those have been more hardware-related issues, and the way that Apple
> >has integrated UNIX stuff with it is not the best implementation.
> >I'm happy with OS X.  NetBSD evens works well with it since I use my
> >X.2 PowerMac G4 to administer my mac68k NetBSD machines.
> >--
>
> Well, I have been programming for the Mac since 1987, and in 1991 I
> completely abandoned the Intel platform (after 9 years programming
> for it), and I have never had occasion to regret the shift!

I loved my NeXT, I hated my NeXT.  It was a unix I could give to
the marketing folks.  That I could fix from home when the needed
something at 7:30 AM.  OS X is NeXTStep 6.

More, the Mac laptop in my, er, lap right now, is running OSX.  It
annoys me sometimes (it's too slow compared to a real unix for
which I have all the source).  but I can halt it to the "ok" prompt,
like a real computer (that would not include BIOS machines).
And I can type "boot net" and boot it DISKLESSLY into NetBSD.
OpenBSD 2.3 is still running on my Mac Classic // (a little PPP).

So no need to fall to that BIOS stuff for NetBSD, it runs on real
machines.