Subject: Re: vga? savage_drv.o?
To: Bob Bernstein <rs@bernstein.providence.ri.us>
From: Gary Thorpe <gathorpe79@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/30/2003 14:51:41
I tested out NetBSD 1.6 on a duron board with a via chipset: it has a
S3 ProSavage DDR chipset and I believe it is either the same device or
similar. NetBSD's detection is seperate and apart from X's detection
and I don't think XFree86 4.x has S3 drivers that support this chip.
While NetBSD properly detects the card (as both a pci and a agp
device), it doesn't seem that NetBSD's XFree86 uses any NetBSD-specific
hooks to actually use it. I don't think kernel tweaking will change
this. The X documentation recommends using 'scanpci -v' to send them
your card details, but obviously you may have to wait for the driver to
be written/incorporated in XFree86 and then in turn incorporated into
NetBSD.

I had success using the basic vga driver. The vesa driver had very good
results in terms of resolution/color depth EXCEPT that when I kill the
server or try to switch to a virtual console the machine hangs... so
basically I cannot shutdown the machine or go back to console if I use
the vesa driver.

 --- Bob Bernstein <rs@bernstein.providence.ri.us> wrote: > I have a
new athlon machine bearing onboard video of the S3 ProSavage