Subject: sound configuration on a Toshiba Tecra 8100
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: James Mathers <blindboy@hotmail.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/25/2003 10:55:38
Hi,

I'm having some trouble getting my sound to work in NetBSD on my Tecra 8100,
and I'm wondering if anyone else has come across a similar problem, or has
any ideas on how to resolve it.

BSD detects the soundcard fine, and seems to set the device right, but when
I try to play any audio, I get no sound, and no response from my audio
software. (even as root)

I have noticed one strange thing in my boot regarding my sound device, so I
have attached some extracts from my dmesg.

Thanks

James M.

excerps from dmesg:

yds0 at pci0 dev 12 function 0: Yamaha 744 (DS-1S) Audio (rev. 0x02)
yds0: interrupting at irq 11
yds0: unknown (0x00000000) codec; no 3D stereo
yds0: unknown (0x00000000) codec; no 3D stereo
audio0 at yds0: full duplex, mmap, independent

opl at yds0 not configured
opl at yds0 not configured
opl at yds0 not configured
opl at yds0 not configured
mpu at yds0 not configured
mpu0 at yds0
midi1 at mpu0: Yamaha DS-1 MIDI UART

Death isn't on line. If he was, there would be a sudden drop in the death
rate. Although it'd be interesting to see if he'd post things like: DON'T
YOU THINK I SOUND LIKE JAMES EARL JONES?

(Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)