Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.6.1 as guest OS under VMWare 4 -- SOLVED
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Julian C. Dunn <lists@aquezada.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/20/2003 23:17:31
On Sat, 2003-07-19 at 20:25, K. Richard Pixley wrote:
> The random crashes, I'm told, are due to excessive scsi bus resets.  I
> haven't debugged it any further since the separate IDE bus solution
> seems to work for me.

It also seemed, from both the guest's kernel message buffer and the
host's vmware.log, that NetBSD sends a lot of SCSI mode sense commands,
which the SCSI emulation layer doesn't appear to support. This may be
the cause of all the SCSI bus resets from the NetBSD guest; my guess is
that the VMWare virtual disk just needs a quirk entry so that the kernel
doesn't try to send endless mode sense commands. Perhaps an enterprising
developer would like to play with this further; I don't have time to :-(

- Julian

--
[    Julian C. Dunn <jdunn@aquezada.com> * <julian@dreaming.org>    ]
[   WWW: http://www.aquezada.com/staff/julian/  * PGP: 0xFDC205B9   ]