Subject: Re: emulating Debian GNU/Linux?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/30/2003 21:43:27
 [...]
> However, to satisfy the nitpicker in me:
> You can't use twm with GNOME, because it needs a NETWM compliant window
> manager, and twm is, well, old (NETWM did not exist in twm's development
> days).

Hm...interesting.  I could have sworn that a few months ago when I was
usning GNOME, it was able to work with twm.  But I haven't used it recently,
so I'll just let my hazy memory stare foggily at you and say, ``Are you sure
about that?''

> As for KDE, it does not require kwm, and will work with most any NETWM
> compliant window manager.  I'm not so sure that a lot of people _want_
> to use something other than kwm with KDE, but I do know that, for
> example, several openbox users run KDE and openbox together.

Ah.  The fact that I use twm is probably why KDE complains when it starts
while twm is already running.

What is NETWM?

 [...]
> though, how many people still use twm. Of course there would be no way
> to replace it, and the holy wars that would ensue would only waste time)

I wouldn't fret too much about having twm removed from XFree86, as long as
I could still install it.

But, I don't think that the NetBSD project is really the project to go on
a crusade about twm.  Leave that to be done (or not be done) by the
XFree86 project.