Subject: ISDN Help
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Ibbotson <richard@sheflug.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/28/2003 20:18:01
Hi

Anyone make any useful suggestions what to do with this ?

I've built a NetBSD 1.6 box with an Elsa QuickStep 1000 ISDN card.  At
boot time the dmesg says "Elsa QuickStep 1000 ISDN card at pci0 dev9
function 0 not configured".  Looks as though it wants to work but
can't for some reason that I can quite put my finger on.  I've
followed the NetBSD instructions for building and ISDN system "Steps
to connect by ISDN".  Made and populated the files in /etc/isdn
including the password and login for the isdn.rc file.

Part of the dmesg says that the "network is unreachable".  I'm
thinking that it might be a good idea to plug it into the wall just to
see what happens.  Also, the instructions tell me to re-compile the
kernel.  I can do 'config GENERIC > MYKERNEL'.  But when it comes to
'make' the whole thing bombs out and asks for the source.  Kernel
source is installed.  Checked for comp.tgz and can't find it.
Attempts to install comp.tgz from CD fail with all kinds of strange
messages.  Given up on that.  Surely ISDN will just work without
re-compiling the kernel ?

Using 1.6.1 is out of the question.  It is not available over a 64k
line.  I have downloaded and installed the current pkgsrc and kernel
sources.  Everything should work.  Broadband doesn't happen here
because British Telecom have a monopoly and in spite of the fact that
they tell their shareholders that "everyone has access to broadband"
most people can only get ISDN or 56K modem.

Thanks

Richard
www.sheflug.co.uk