Subject: Re: URGENT GZIP HELP NEEDED
To: Thomas Bieg <tomsbsd03@t-email.de>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/20/2003 13:03:14
Thomas Bieg <tomsbsd03@t-email.de>  wrote:
 > This seems to be the case, as I got it to unpack correctly after
 > converting the DOS style linefeeds back to Unix style (replacing
 > all occurences of <CR><LF> with <LF>).
 >
 > So your files aren't lost ;-)
 >
 > To convert it back I used a small (Win*ows...) program named
 > Uncook95, which someone wrote to correct MP3 files that were
 > corrupted the same way...
 >
 > But you could of course write a few lines of code that will do
 > the job. Someone got a one-liner?

Lets not forget that there are quite a number of binary files
and other binary objects in tarballs, some of which might contain
the sequence "0x0d0a" but where those occurences are not intended
to represent a carriage return or linefeed in a piece of text.

I would say the originator has well and truly hosed himself.