Subject: Re: Sparc 5 install won't
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: joerch <helix@mayn.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/10/2003 21:04:57
> Unfortunately, the system will NOT boot from sd0.  I can restart it by
> booting from the first installation floppy and break out to the # prompt.
> From there I can poke around a rudimentary file system but I am not sure
> whether this is on sd0, on the floppy, or only in memory as part of the
> first installation floppy having been run as a boot diskette.

Any messages appearing while booting ?
Check the bootrom for the bootdevice entry.
My memories saying: bootdevice default is the disc with id3.
Type probe-scsi on the bootrom prompt.
Type printenv on the bootrom prompt.

> into Redhat linux but I did not have the root password, and rather than
> recover it, I decided that NetBSD would be more interesting on this
> vintage machine.

You are right ;), forget your redhat installation and go
on with your netbsd system ;).

> What now?

Just another question:
Do you have experience with sparc machines ?

--
gruesse
joerg "joerch" buechner