Subject: Re: (non)install packages as root?
To: Lubos Vrbka <shnek@chemi.muni.cz>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/30/2003 16:30:21
--hl1kWnBARzJiTscN

hi,

On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 04:19:47PM +0200, Lubos Vrbka wrote:
> yes, i checked it... they are rwxr-xr-x. well, i think i see the
> problem now... the whole tree is owned by root... so i have to either
> chown all directories there to belong to another user, or change
> permissions to rwxrwxr-x everywhere. the first solution doesn't seem
> to be ok...  the permissions and owner are set during the unpacking of
> the pkgsrc tree to /usr. it shouldn't be writable for ordinary user,
> so pkgsrc should be unpacked by root and permissions are defined by
> umask, right? and to have umask 002 for root, it isn't good idea...
> so what's the correct solution?

there is no "correct" solution.  it all depends on your preferences and
environment.  i don't see a problem in having pkgsrc tree writable by an
ordinary user who updates pkgsrc and build packages, e.g., "src" user.

my local setup is different on different hosts/locations i have.  for
home use i have pkgsrc tree on a nfs server, mounted read-write by an
ordinary user (i update the tree with), DISTDIR=3D/usr/dist and
WRKOBJDIR=3D/var/tmp/pkgsrc.  the user i am building packages with doesn't
have write access to the pkgsrc tree at all, only owns /usr/dist and
/var/tmp/pkgsrc.

regards,

--=20
-- Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>                   --