Subject: small caching DNS proxy for dialup connections
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Hafner <hafner@sdf-eu.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/26/2003 01:42:41
Hello,

I'm looking for a small caching DNS proxy suitable for dialup
connections running on NetBSD 1.6 for i386. That means that the proxy
may forward requests to the ISP's nameserver when the connection is
up, but shall use the cache when the connection is down.

One idea was to run named, generate a new named.conf and send SIGHUP
to named to force rereading of the configuration file. But I find
named oversized for my single PC and difficult to configure.

Another idea was to use dnrd. The problem is, that I didn't succeed in
compiling the sources, because they seem to use some missing Linux
semaphore stuff. In addition I've read that dnrd's code isn't clean
concerning buffer overflows.

Similiar with pdnsd. I think that would be my favorite caching DNS
server, but compilation fails because of missing pthread stuff. The
makefile wants to call gcc with a special phread option and phread.h.
I've found a package mit-pthreads-1.60b6 but I'm not sure how to
proceed. pdnsd's configure script ignores the installed phread
headers, libraries and the gcc variant because all that isn't in the
standard directories. Before I try to rewrite the makefile manually,
I'd rather like to ask if I'm still on the track.

Maybe sombody knows an easy to use solution? Just another idea: if I
don't succeed in compiling, can I use a Linux binary instead? I
dispose also of Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 (Woody), but havn't yet set up
any Linux emulation. I've heard, that only Read Hat and SuSE are
supported. Is that true?

I don't want to manipulate /etc/resolv.conf dynamically, because the
man page tells me, that the file is only read the first time a
resolver function is called. That seems to me that a dynamic
modification would not be noticed by the resolver.

Regards
  Thomas

--
+-----+ Thomas Hafner +-----+