Subject: Filesystem integrity on unexpected power cycles
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Bruce Martin <brucem@cat.co.za>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/23/2003 11:20:52
This is just a request to see if NetBSD 1.6 has included any measures to
increase the robustness of filesystem integrity when systems are power
cycled without being shut down properly. Under the 1.5.* distributions (on
i386 specifically) we have had quite a number of problems where fsck's have
either failed and needed to be run manually from single user mode, or where
we have actually lost files and directories.

Obviously, the best solution is to ensure that systems are shut down
correctly each time, but has anything been done to misimise the risk in
power failure scenarios?

I am not trying to start a war, and definitely not an O/S comparison
discussion, I am simply asking a question - we are very happy with NetBSD!

Thanks
 Bruce Martin