Subject: Re: SAMBA vs. NFS and lpr/lpd.
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2003.snew.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/20/2003 12:56:46
Quoting Manuel Bouyer (bouyer@antioche.eu.org):
> On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 05:18:19PM -0500, Richard Rauch wrote:
> > Thanks to Manuel, I've now put the "-alldirs" NFS problem behind me.
> > (And I see that Julien also posted a message to point me in the right
> > direction.)
> >
> > Now I have another question:
> >
> > Granted that, at the moment, all of my machines are NetBSD machines,
> > is there any advantage to fooling with SAMBA vs. using NFS for files
> > and lpr/lpd for printing?  (Advantages other than just playing with
> > a different toy, and the prospect of easier communications with
> > certain monopoly-ware...(^&)
Well, the monopoly changes the specs and usage on a whim, NFS is an
IETF standard and is open...

> Not much I can see. One advantage could be user authentication
> if some of these machines are single-user workstations (to avoid
> the 'become root and then su to anyone to access his files on the NFS
> server' problem)

AFS deals with this, NFS-4 appears to have some auth-ticket stuff
in it (as though Athena/NFS didn't have this in 1988, grrr).

> > Given the reports that I've seen of LINUX having trouble talking to
> > BSD's (or anything but LINUX?) might it be better to use SAMBA to
> > export filesystems to/from LINUX?  (LINUX is a more likely near-future
> > player in my little empire...(^&)
>
> Hum, I have NetBSD NFS servers with linux clients (both 2.4.9 and 2.4.18
> kernels). There are problems, but which can be worked around using
> mount options (for TCP, or restrist R/W size)

Linux has had some interesting NFS issues.  It appears to be lots
better - when NFS doesn't work between Unixes, things are wrong.

Paying attention to NFS "classic" (v3) vs. NFS 3 and TCP vs. UDP
helps.  I caught filters blocking 2049/TCP because "NFS is UDP, isn't it"
(not always, these days).

/me wants OpenAFS to work on BSD :(