Subject: Re: Samba on NetBSD 1.6
To: Dominik Noetzel <dominik.noetzel@t-online.de>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/19/2003 11:27:09
On Sat, 19 Apr 2003, Dominik Noetzel wrote:

> NetBSD is my first serios try with a unix-enviroment, i figured out a lot=
,
> but much more is still mystery to me :-)
> Installing Packages with pkg_add is no problem, but i don=B4t get anyothe=
> Software running :-(
> As the subject says, i=B4m trying to get Samba started on my box, but i
> already fail installing, i got the samba-latest.tar.gz from the samba sit=
e,
> unpacked it, now i have a directory with content but no clue what to
> do with it.
> Any hints?

Welcome to NetBSD! You made a great choice and you will find that NetBSD
and its community is quite friendly and useful.

You mention using pkg_add, but you also mention the samba source. You may
find it easier to just use NetBSD's pkgsrc. It makes it easy for building
and installing software for NetBSD. (At this time, ready-to-use
packages for samba are not available.)

Some information is at
http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/software/packages.html

To get started, you can extract the pkgsrc to /use/pkgsrc.
Some steps for this are at:
http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/software/packages.html#using-pkgsrc

Then go into the /usr/pkgsrc/net/samba directory.

Then run "make install".

Good luck,

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/